Search This Blog

Thursday 5 December 2013

Sinterklaas

Dear all,

As some of you might know, in the Netherlands we celebrate Sinterklaas on the 5th of December. Today was that day!

We don't get the day of for Sinterklaas so this morning I went to school. Turns out they were handing out "speculaaspoppen" (dutch cookie), didn't get one though...

When my long schoolday was finally over I cycled home in what seemed like a stormy weather. They had warned us about that on the news this morning and through out the day. The windy and rainy weather makes Sinterklaasevening even better though.

For those of you who don't know,  Sinterklaas is an ancient tradition where kids recieve presents on the 5th of december and through out the end of november untill the evening of 5december. Those so called shoegifts are usually tiny or sweets. The celebration is held up by every Dutch person above 10. Under 10(maybe younger I am not sure) you believe Sinterklaas brings you presents and knows if you have been good. He comes in the night on the roof, riding his horse to bring the presents. Obviously it is a myth but it's still working as kids believe it to be true. Because we have no little children at home we make each other stuff and rimes with a present. It's the adult version of Sinterklaas...
I made mum a poem which I sew onto a blanket, written on a paper. Dad recieved his poem in a bottle of beer. (his present was a beerglas). My sister got her poem in Spanish(dictionary was the present)

I was given sweet poems and awesome presents. It's all stuff for when I move out which I really wanted to have! Thank you Sinterklaas!

Love,

Simone

No comments:

Post a Comment